Did you know the song “April in Paris” is part of the Great American Songbook? This 1933 hit was composed by Vernon Duke with lyrics by E.Y. Harburg for the Broadway musical Walk a Little Faster. Be sure to visit the Center for the Performing Arts information table located near Silver in the City (111 W. Main St., Ste. 150). Also don’t miss Ingrid Rodriguez performing this Great American Songbook classic every hour starting at 5 p.m. at Hoosier Salon (22 N. Range Line Rd.).
The Olive Mill (10 S. Range Line Rd.) is celebrating its third anniversary with birthday cake and sweet treats. There is also a drawing for a gift basket on Saturday, valued at $100, with sign-up sheets available at the shop all week. “Birthday Bash” deals are also offered this week with a daily deal posted each morning on The Olive Mill Facebook page.
Other special events this month include:
- Performance of La Bohème by Ingrid Rodriguez inside Hoosier Salon (22 N. Range Line Rd.)
- French pastries provided by Union Baking Company of Old Towne Carmel Bed & Breakfast at French Bleu Fine Art Gallery (111 W. Main St., Ste. 145)
- French music on Harp by Jan Aldridge-Clark at Inspire Studio Gallery (111 W. Main St., Ste. 120)
- Free Art Experience Class at Art Lab Indy from 5 – 7 p.m. (31 W. Main St., Ste. 300)
Featured artists and exhibits during the April Gallery Walk include:
- ArtSplash Gallery (111 W. Main St., Suite 140) features artist Hewook Lee’s solo show. A long-time Carmel resident and oil painter, Lee has won many awards including the 2016 Hoosier Women’s Artist Competition. Marie Reamer’s photographs from France will also be on exhibit.
- Visit the CCA Gallery & Gifts (111 W. Main St., Ste. 135) for the New Members Show with a reception from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Featured work includes abstract artist David Humbert as well as fabric artist Maura Fox. Weather permitting, CCA will also have several plein air painters outside of the gallery.
- The CAC Children’s Art Gallery (40 W. Main St.), featuring the “The World’s Smallest Children’s Art Gallery,” hosts student art from College Wood Elementary, Carmel, Clay and Creekside Middle Schools and Carmel High School. A special exhibit features the first place winners of the Carmel Arts Council’s “Student Spring Art Contest.”
- Hoosier Salon (22 N. Range Line Rd.) presents the work of Indiana painters Roy Boswell, Matt Katz and Wyatt LeGrand as part of an exhibition called Warmer Days. Visit the gallery to celebrate the impending warmer seasons and draw yourself out of hibernation. The exhibit continues through April 23rd.
Additional activities taking place during the April Gallery Walk include:
- Free caricatures by Custom Eyes Design, (by Auntie Em’s Frozen Custard & Cupcakes 111 W. Main St., Suite 130) along with free face painting by Aly Oop.
- Jilly Jack Designs (254 1st Ave. SW, Ste. F) will display its antique printing press, inviting visitors to make their own Eiffel Tower card for free.
- Be a part of the Scavenger Hunt that will lead you to find select pieces of art in each of the participating galleries and businesses. Begin the hunt at Hoosier Salon (22 Range Line Rd.). Follow the clues through the District and then turn in your completed clue sheet to receive a charm. Collect a different charm at each Gallery Walk throughout the year to complete a whole charm bracelet by the end of the year. Your completed clue sheet will also enter you for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
- Mosaic class by Nancy Keating ($65 value)
- Gift basket for family of four to Conner Prairie, includes admission & hot air balloon ride ($125 value)
- Original watercolor of Paris by Valentina Shvyrkova ($125 value)
- Dance lessons from Darren’s Ballroom Dance ($210 value)
- Three photography books by Marie Reamer of ArtSplash Gallery ($15 value each)
- Two tickets to the Carmel Symphony at The Palladium ($50 value)
- Eiffel Tower gift set ($25 value)
- Children’s art gift basket ($30 value)
- Woman’s Bath and Body Works gift basket ($25 value)
A map of the gallery locations and more information about the IU Health North Hospital Gallery Walk activities can be found at www.CarmelArtsAndDesign.com.
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or available on-street public parking. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded at http://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf.
The Carmel Arts & Design District is the Midwest’s premier arts and design destination. Home to more than 200 businesses, including art galleries, restaurants, antique dealers, design showrooms, boutiques, and creative service providers, the Carmel Arts & Design District promises to stimulate the senses. The Indiana Design Center is housed in the Carmel Arts & Design District. In addition, hundreds have taken advantage of the wide variety of housing opportunities and call the Carmel Arts & Design District home.