“Paint outs continue to be very popular as a resurgence in the arts is being seen in many communities such as Carmel. We are thrilled to be able to make this event available to the public, especially to families with small children who we hope are inspired to create their own expressions of art as a visitor to this event in our Arts & Design District,” said Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard.
Artists ranging from professionals to amateurs, including a teen division, will be painting at a variety of locations for the plein air event all day Friday and Saturday. The public is invited to come to the district and watch the painters set up their easels and paint their chosen subjects. There will also be two quick paints, one on Saturday at the Carmel Farmers Market (5 Center Green) and one on Sunday on the southwest corner of Main Street and the Monon Trail. Saturday is also the day for children to paint at the KidsZone from 1 – 4 p.m., with two locations in The District, including Magdalena Gallery of Art (27 East Main Street) and Carmel Arts Council’s Children’s Art Gallery (40 West Main Street).
The plein air art works created on Friday and Saturday, along with the quick paint event on Sunday, will be judged by Rachel Berenson Perry, former fine art curator of the Indiana State Museum, and author of numerous art articles and books. The plein air main event judging takes place at 5:30 p.m. Saturday with artists vying for prizes that include a $5,000 grand prize, $3,000 for second place and $1,500 for third.
The quick paint event on Saturday morning at the Carmel Farmers Market will be judged as a community choice, with market visitors deciding which work will take home the $500 first place prize, the $300 second place award and the $200 third place spot. The Sunday quick paint event takes place in the Carmel Arts & Design District, with monetary prizes the same as the Saturday quick paint. Sunday’s event will be followed by an art fair from 2-5 p.m., featuring works created by Carmel on Canvas artists.
Join Mayor Brainard on Saturday at 7 p.m. as he hands out the awards at a special event tent located along Artists Lane (also known as 2nd Avenue NW) between Scotty’s Brewhouse and the Monon Trail. The paintings will also be available for viewing and for sale after the awards are presented.
Artists are able to register beginning at 8:30 a.m. Friday at Hoosier Salon (22 Range Line Road) and Saturday morning at Carmel Farmers Market.
Carmel on Canvas artists also have the opportunity to compete for Purchase Awards by painting the sponsoring business’s establishment and winning the listed monetary prize. Winners will be chosen on Saturday night. Thank you to the following Carmel Arts & Design District businesses for offering Purchase Awards:
Bazbeaux Pizza - $400
Highgarden Real Estate - $400
Bub’s Burgers & Ice Cream - $250
Agave - $200
Greek’s Pizzeria - $200
PNC Bank - $200
Restyled - $200
Thank you to our sponsors:
Patron – City of Carmel, Visit Hamilton County, Soori Gallery, Eclectic Aesthetic Health Center
Supporters – Carmel Arts Council, Carmel Arts & Design District Gallery Association
Enthusiasts – Chapman-Osborne Legacy Realtors, The Art Lab, Magdalena Gallery of Arts, The Pint Room, All Things Carmel, Painting with a Twist, Greek’s Pizzeria, Donatello’s Italian Restaurant, The Olive Mill, Mudbugs, Scotty’s Brewhouse, Square Donuts, Blu Moon Café, Vitality Bowls, Bub’s Burgers & Ice Cream
Kids Zone – The Art Lab, Magdalena Gallery of Arts, Painting with a Twist
The following is a schedule of events. All events are open to the public.
Friday, September 16
- 8:30 a.m. – All Day Plein Air Paint Begins: Registration & Check-in at Hoosier Salon (22 Range Line Road). Artists register and paint throughout the day in the District. Public is encouraged to watch the artists create their work. Musicians will be playing throughout the District.
Saturday, September 17
- 8:30 – 5 p.m. All Day Plein Air Paint Continues: Artists register and paint throughout the day in the District. Public is encouraged to watch the artists create their work. Musicians will be playing throughout the District.
- 8:30-10 a.m. – Quick Paint 1 at the Carmel Farmers Market (5 Center Green)
- 10:15 – 10:30 a.m. – Quick Paint 1 “Community Choice” judging, awards to follow
- 5 p.m. – Plein air paintings turned in by artists to Artists Lane tent (2nd Avenue NW)
- 6 p.m. – All day plein air reception/judging
- 7 p.m. – All day plein air awards; Artists works displayed for viewing and sale.
- 1 – 4 p.m. – Event volunteers will assist children ages 4-12 in creating a piece of art to take home.
Sunday, September 18
- 11 a.m. – noon - Quick Paint 2 day-of registration & check-in at Hoosier Salon
- Noon- 1:30 p.m. – Quick Paint 2: Carmel Arts & Design District
- 2 p.m. – Quick Paint 2: Judging/Awards to follow
- 2 – 5 p.m. – Art Fair in the District, 221 W. Main Street/SW Corner of Main Street & Monon Trail
Public parking is available in the Carmel Lions Club lot (141 E. Main St.), Sophia Square parking garage (entrance off of 1st Ave NW), Indiana Design Center parking garage (200 S. Range Line Rd.) or available on-street public parking. The Arts & Design District parking map may be downloaded at http://www.carmelartsanddesign.com/images/Carmel_District_ParkingMap.pdf.